Saturday, December 18, 2010

Index to Cartoonists and Illustrators in The Paper and Cooper Point Journal, 1972-June 1982
















The student newspapers for The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington have served as an early venue for several cartoonists who are now well known. I covered the history of these papers in OlyBlog in Evergroove Trivia pt. 44.

This manuscript was put together in July 1982. Around 1987-1988 one of my cats, Alex, took a couple chunks out of the introduction. He was a rambunctious black and white longhair. Anyway, it is possible that before Alex edited the front page, I supplied a copy to the Washington State University Library comix collection. I'm not sure when I reproduced this thing for them.

Many great cartoonists have emerged from TESC after the cutoff date of this index, but this early list is still pretty impressive.

You'll find now familiar commercial names in here, and also a number of people who were well known in the 1980s Newave movement.

Although I graduated in 1979, most of my CPJ work continued to be published clear up to the late 1980s.

The cartoonists in this list who I got to know during my Evergroove years (1974-1979) were Lynda Barry, Matt Groening, Randy Hunting, T.J. Simpson and Gary May.

I had a nodding acquaintance with several other cartoonists in this roster who I'm sure don't remember me today like Charles Burns, Jim Chupa, Flicky Ford, Dan Owens, and the amazing Dana Leigh Squires. In those years I cultivated a very careful, quiet, nonentity persona-- just being a norm, minding my own business. Drabness, I always say, is goodness.

In my post-TESC years I had the pleasure of meeting several other folks in this index: Matt Love, Lhisa Reish, Maggie Resch, Larry Stillwell, and Tucker Petertil.

Of course today, embracing the hermit lifestyle, I'm not in touch with any of these fine cartoonists, although I have crossed paths with Tuck Petertil in Olympia a time or two in the last couple years.