Saturday, April 14, 2012

Midnight Fiction Going Into Hibernation

One of the treats of Saturday mornings, besides not having to commute to work, is visiting Richard Krauss' Midnight Fiction site, where I can catch up on news about this thing of ours. In addition to being a really nice guy and fellow Pacific Northwest comix artist, Richard has provided a real service to those of us who publish our own work. He has extended the Newave philosophy into the 21st century.

When I was at SPACE last year I was asked more than once: Is Richard Krauss really as nice as he seems?  And of course the answer was a big YES, based on my in-person contacts with him.

Today's installment has some news, which I'll abbreviate:

"An assignment for a class in Dreamweaver, with content fueled by Newave comix pages, soon took on a life of its own with comix, reviews, small press news, interviews and special features. MidnightFiction.com has served the small press scene nearly every week, since Oct. 2006."

"It's been a good run, but I'm ready for a break ..."

"I'll continue to keep the site online as a resource, but after next week ... MF.com will for the most part be on hiatus."

I left out all the individuals he thanks. For that I suggest you visit his site.  

Having edited City Limits Gazette for nearly three years, I can totally understand Richard's reasoning. And my deal was only bi-weekly! Five and a half years, weekly, of Midnight Fiction is a very good show.

So thank you Mr. Krauss for providing a major contribution in telling our story to the world at large. You done good and my Saturday morning ritual will take awhile to get used to the void. In the meantime, I hope your newfound free time is used in endeavors you find creative, original and expressive.