Thursday, May 10, 2012

Morty Comix # 2353


So I had to rummage through one of my several junk drawers, and finally found the hole-punch tool. Now how often does anyone find an occasion to use one of these?

And here we see the hole-punch tool doing what it does best, punching a hole. In this case it happens to be in Morty Comix # 2353. Why am I doing this?

Here's why. I have a big helium balloon shaped like a ladybug. The store even pumped extra helium into this thing when I purchased it.

So I tied the Morty Comix to the end of the ribbon dangling from the string on the balloon, using the hole I punched with the seldom used hole-punch tool.

From my front yard the wind was strong, heading west from the Pacific Ocean (about an hour away while driving).

And so I released this Morty Comix to the Heavens and watched it for about five minutes before it actually entered the cloud layer. What amazed me was that even though the wind was strong at ground level, the balloon basically went slightly west but vanished in the clouds still over McCleary city limits. See if you can spot it in these subsequent phone photos. I was able to observe it until it vanished into a cloud.

This is one Morty Comix that should be a real collector's item! Well, that is, if anyone out there is nuts enough to try to collect these babies.

This is the second issue of Morty Comix I have sent out on a balloon. Back in my last house here in McCleary I launched one probably in the 1980s. It was during Bear Festival time. I suppose I could look up the number but I lack the energy.

As I recall that particular Morty Comix was an index card folded in half with four images drawn into it and the card stock weight made lift off rather iffy. And instead of being herded east, as the winds here usually do, that Morty Comix barely cleared a giant evergreen and floated magically to the west-- toward Elma.(7 miles away)

Of course back then when I launched the first Morty Comix, in 1983, there was no such thing as Internet or scanning. And I kept no record of the image.

Of all the places that have been Mortyfied since I have started this new phase, only one has responded.