Sunday, October 31, 2010

We Celebrate Marc Myers Week!














We've been down with the flu the last few days. Yesterday I felt so rotten I didn't even make my run to the McCleary Post Office.

But today I'm a little better, so I went to good old PO Box 390. It's near the door on one of the bottom rows in the phone photo.

What I found in there was an amazing package sent as a gift to Sarah by Marc Myers. When I recently contacted Marc to gain his permission to post our jam Little Snowjob, he offered to send me some original art and a bunch of Morty Comix he had been saving all these years. When I read his email out loud, Sarah piped up, "Well, maybe you don't care, but I want them!" And now she has a thick pile original work, thanks to Marc's generosity.

As fate would have it, part of the art he sent included the cover and first story from Cranium Frenzy #5 -- little did I know when I posted that comic this morning I'd be looking the original art later in the day! What are the odds?

Since I have very little of my own original art, especially from the 1980s, this is a real time capsule. It measures 29 x 23 cm., is drawn entirely in various felt tip pens on very crappy paper, the kind that used to aggravate Brad Foster during our comix jams. I used a nonphoto blue pencil, which you might be able to detect in enlargements here, but the pencils are fairly rough and were only outlines.

And, I can't find a single place, not even in the pencils for the panels, where I used a ruler!

Page 10 has a couple notes in the margins in blue pencil. The top left has: "Re-insert through left eye." The lower left corner has: "Freed when balloon goes."

I'll be scanning even more stuff from Marc. This should be declared Marc Myers Week here at the Morty the Blog!